Saturday 26 May 2012

Oooops, sorry I haven't been around!!!!

Sorry for my rudeness! I haven't felt like being online for the last few weeks! Some put it down to   being depressed after Mum went home, some to the alignmment of the stars! I am not sure what but I know the computer has held no interest for me the last few weeks so I haven't even bothered!! Today out of necessity for Mastercard bills and Nursing registration I have ventured forth and found no joy on logging on to Face Book but to msny emails to deal with, thank goodness most was junk!!!!

So I think, what have I done since my last post......worthy of writing about!

The 3rd house on the compound has changed hands again, a new AUSaid single chap who will be with us for the next two years. Mark is keen to help with the chooks, the pool, use the gym and enjoy the cudoos of the compound!

The Australian High Comisioner and his wife have left the island and we await the new couple who will arrive in early June.

Last year a couple began a Saturday morning reading group at the national library for the kids. Well due to posting etc, the position to continue running this program is free, so I have volunteered to be the co-ordinator until we leave. Jack and I went to our first reading session today. It was so lovely to see the kids and Meei (my house keeper ) bought her boys and nieces along. We will try to go along most Saturdays.

Meei has agreed to come and wirk for me full time. This means I will be able to use her to look after Sam while I home school Jack and also have a break from both boys. I thought I might do some voluntary work at the Betio Health Clinic or Hospital. I am no longer a registered Nurse but am, I am sure a welcome pair f eatra hands for more mundane aspects of nursing, as there is an huge shortage of nurses here in Kiribati.

Work has begun on extending the fence line done to te high water mark and should be complted before the end of the financial year, but as this is Kirbati and island time preveales, who knows when it will actually be complete!

The MSA from the Marshall Island is a very old friend of JJ's. George bought his patrol boat over to Kiribati as a good will gesture and the two boats sailed on a joint patrol. JJ and George had a fabulous weekend. They attended a Botaki (party) for Saturday lunch, rolled home incredibly drunk, made it as far as the bar, then recliners and there they laid until the next morning!!! Only to get up the next morning and do it all again!!! I think both had a wonderful visit, if nothing of their work with the patrol boats!!

The chooks continue to thrive, no one has seen such fat chooks on this island. They are so well fed, I don't think they'll would even leave (they better lay eggs or I'll be VERY grumpy!!!) Next door's bitch has had another litter of pups and one has taken our eye!! JJ has a budget for a guard dog for the compound and after due consideration we have decided to 'babosi' the pup. Babosi is a term the i-Kiribati use when they want something from another person. You 'babosi' it and they hand it over. Since dogs are really of no consequence here I have no problem to babosi the pup, who will no doubt live a fine life here compared to what it will have next door. It will duely be desexed and become the compounds dog, but no doubt Jack and Sam will lay to claim ownership, just as they have done with the chooks. After the fence has been extended we are considering having a pig, what a menagerie we shall have!!

right well I am going to sign off and go to bed, night all and I won't be away so long again. so till next time......

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear you are back in the land of the living! Hope you are feeling better. I am glad you made it to the reading group. I am sure Jack will enjoy going. The pup sounds great, the only thing will be getting too attached to it and then having to leave it behind! I hope you find out more about doing some work in the clinic. Love Mum. xx

    ReplyDelete